Monday, July 10, 2006

Musical Monday

Holiday countdown - 13 days

So, another weekend had come and gone. And all I seem to have to show for it, unfortunately, is a torn calf muscle sustained when I was running yesterday morning. It bloody hurts, and it's come at a bad time as I've been trying to get in shape before we go on holiday later in the month. In fact, I wanted to lose 4lbs over the next two weeks, which will be a little difficult now, so I guess it's going have to be the bike every morning until my leg gets better.

And, of course, there was at least one climax at Chez WDKY, even if wasn't the kind of climax I would have had, given the choice. The World Cup reached its finale, and as I didn't really mind who won I could just sit back and enjoy it as a spectacle. Four years to wait for the next one now, but luckily those of us in Europe have the sheer joy of the European Championships, Euro 2008, which kicks off with some qualifying games in early September. The Beautiful Game... you've got to love it, haven't you?

Before I get on with Musical Monday, I also wanted to say thank you for the comments on my last post. You know, the one where I admitted I was a ... a... errmmm... commitmentphobe. It was pretty obvious that a lot of thought went into them, and it wasn't lost on me. On the contrary, it almost brought a tear to my eye. No, seriously - thank you, it was much appreciated. And it was also interesting to see the different perspectives that this kind of issue can polarise... plenty to think about as I fend off the hordes of laydeez who for some reason don't seem to be knocking on my door right now!

Musical Monday

When I was in my late teens, I seemed to spend most of my time listening to music and/ or going to gigs. Whilst my heart belonged to Pink Floyd (my user ID on eBay is "isawthefloyd", which says it all, I suspect) there were a few other bands that I really loved, and Jethro Tull was one of them... Ian Anderson had an amazing voice, and their music was instantly recognisable, not least for his haunting flute that was so unique in what was actually a genre that was pretty hard to pin down. And the fact that he looked like Catweazle was completely irrelevant, of course.

Anyway, the track today is taken from "Minstrel in The Gallery". I should warn you that it spans some 17 minutes, but I also think that - in much the same way as Bohemian Rhapsody - its a work of art, so stick with it as it morphs it's way to the end... its well worth the effort. This is close to a musical epic, in fact.... oh, and the track's called Baker Street Muse. I nearly forgot!



Want to play? Just stick this in your sidebar, but change ALL the brackets to the pointy ones first:
(a href="http://wdkylondon.blogspot.com/2006/03/musical-monday.html" target="_blank")(img src="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/LightestTouch/musicalmonday.jpg" alt="Image hosting by Photobucket" border="0" /)(/a)

No comments: