Monday, April 24, 2006

Musical Monday

When I was young - a teenager, I mean - there was only one band about whom opinion was completely united. I was lucky enough to see them play no less than three times when they were at their peak, and if you were to ask me if there is one band that I would simply say was the greatest ever, they would be it. I'm talking about Pink Floyd. The Floyd.

Following the release of the groundbreaking concept album Dark Side of The Moon in 1973, they achieved worlwide recognition, even managing 724 weeks in the top 200 in the US. But although it's a pretty tough call, I think their best album of all was Wish You were Here, with it's haunting tribute to founder-member Syd Barratt in Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The title track is possibly my favourite, but it's not an easy decision - I think that Shine On Pt 2 is just indescribable. So you've got them both for Musical Monday today. Take your pick, or - if you have quarter of an hour to spare - play them both, one after the other. You'll thank me if you do.

(Oh, and for those who don't know the album, the first of my tracks starts off a bit "tinny". Don't worry, it's meant to. And PLEASE try to listen to both... it's worth it!)




Want to play? Just stick this in your sidebar, but CHANGE ALL THE BRACKETS TO THE POINTY ONES FIRST:

(a href="http://wdkylondon.blogspot.com/2006/03/musical-monday.html" target="_blank")(img src="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/LightestTouch/musicalmonday.jpg" alt="Image hosting by Photobucket" border="0" /)(/a)

No comments: