Monday, September 04, 2006

Musical Monday

I'm going for something a little different for Musical Monday this week, but before that will you please take a moment to cross your fingers and wish me luck? I'm pitching for a six-month project this morning that - if I get it - will pay me just about a year's income or thereabouts. I reckon I have a one-in-three chance, and I'm very nervous indeed. I'm even going to wear a tie, which for me is almost unheard of, so I must be taking it seriously ;-)

Anyway, to Musical Monday... and I've opted for a video style presentation today, featuring the great Johnny Cash with a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song (and their version is also amazing)... "Hurt". You may know the song from the latest Nike ad if you're from the UK, but somehow watching JC sing it too adds a kind of... gravitas. And it's a fitting obituary to a great man. Incidentally, Trent Reznor was so blown away by this cover that, after hearing it and seeing the video for the first time, he subesequently referred - and still refers - to Hurt as "the song that isn't mine anymore". The video itself was a multi-award winner, and was the last hit that Cash recorded before he died.

See what you think, but I've also chosen to post the lyrics too this week. And actually, on my more melancholy days I can almost feel them.



I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything

what have I become
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
upon my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
beneath the stains of time
the feelings disappear
you are someone else
I am still right here

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Want to play? Just stick this in your sidebar or on your post, but change ALL the brackets to the pointy ones first:

(a href="http://wdkylondon.blogspot.com/2006/03/musical-monday.html" target="_blank")(img src="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/LightestTouch/musicalmonday.jpg" alt="Image hosting by Photobucket" border="0" /)(/a)

A "sticky" message

Sorry if I haven't appeared in your comments for a while - blame it on beta, rather than any laziness on my part! If you're on the old platform and don't allow anonymous comments, I'm afraid that I'm screwed!

WDKY

No comments: