Monday, June 19, 2006

Musical Monday

When I had an embryonic thought that it might be nice to post some of my favourite music every week for readers of my blog to share, I had no intention at the time of asking anyone else to participate themselves. I certainly didn’t imagine that it would be a source of inspiration for me, but that’s just what Musical Monday has become, and I can only thank everyone who plays along with me week after week. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

A couple of weeks ago, the lovely Ceeci posted the most beautiful track from an album called 1 Giant Leap. It was enough to get me surfing Amazon, and a few days later the package arrived in the post, to be eagerly unwrapped and inserted into the CD player’s drawer seconds later.

I can’t begin to articulate the sheer joy this music had brought me, this amazing collaboration of artists spanning all corners of the globe. I’m not often moved to tears by music, but I’m neither ashamed nor embarrassed to say that it can happen. Over the weekend, I just sat, listened and - at one point - cried, and I think the tears were the consequence of a sudden realisation of what could be achieved if we really did all love, and respect, and care about each other. No matter what culture or creed we are, and regardless of the colour of our skin.

The track that stands out above all others is the one that CeeCi has already featured, so I’m going to give you something else, a track called Ta Moko which features Whiri Mako Black. That said, it really is an impossible choice to make, and if you enjoy what you hear I can only implore you to buy the album. And listen to the narrative that precedes this track, and if necessary play it again and again. Because believe me, it's worth remembering.

No comments: