Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Premature articulation

Thanks for the comments on my MM post, as always – well, they were more related to the masturbating candle wax, in truth. I must say, though, that on closer inspection it looks like a woman sitting on the face of a man with no legs. And holding him by the, errmm...

Anyway, regardless of erotic candle wax musings, I’ve decided that my life is kind of manic. In fact, it’s probably too manic just at the moment, and I need to start a bit of life spring-cleaning in time for the summer. Because in the summer everything needs to slow down for me, so that I can lay resplendent in the garden and soak up some rays (yes, NML, in the buff if I feel like it). And the thing is, I regard the leaving of PTFE’s make-up bag in my bathroom as a sign that it’s not going to be entirely straightforward. In fact, I telephoned her early this morning as I was on my way to a meeting, and the time of the call was apparently a sign of our growing commitment to each other (which was something of a surprise to me, as I thought it was just indicative of the fact that I was about to be tied up in a meeting for endless hours).

All of this confirms my view that men and women handle emotional commitment in the early stages of a relationship in a completely different way. Women want to articulate it, to savour every syllable and roll it around their tongues before swallowing... and this articulation of feelings can be a bit unnerving if it comes too early. I’m not saying that such communication is unnecessary – I’m just saying that it can be premature. (I was proposed to last year after I’d been seeing the woman in question for two weeks. How premature was that? Needless to say, I ran for my life.)

So, with all of this in mind, I’m off this evening for dinner with the lady in question... a Thai meal in the wilds of Essex. Wish me luck, and if I’m not back for HNT alert the media.

Update: Fear not... I'm back, but I have interesting things to report. And KOW - my man, you were hit #40,000. I shall be thinking of how I can mark the occasion but that's another pint I owe you. At least!

No comments: